Create a beautiful decoration for your home with the Wooden Slab – providing a modern blank with a large surface to put your pyrography skills to the test! Here, we’ve created a mandala design which looks great overlapping one of the corners. Follow the tutorial below to find out how to make your own.
- Tape the Graphite trace down and Mandala design down onto the chopping board using masking tape.
- Trace the Mandala using a hard pencil with medium pressure, check your pressure by lifting both sheets. Tip – Press too light and it will not leave a mark, too hard and you may go through the paper. Take care where you apply pressure as the graphite will leave marks onto the wood. Fill in any gaps directly onto the chopping board with the pencil, if you need to make your design clearer.
- Allow the pyrography tool to heat up for approximately five minutes. Use a fine tip to begin with, you can build up thickness if you need to later. As you burn you will notice some build up on the tip, rub the tip onto the back of an old tea strainer to remove it.
- Using the print of the mandala you may wish to practice colouring in sections or add extra details to see what the design may look like before continuing to burn.
- Finish burning the design and rub out any graphite marks with a rubber.